Our capital city already exists for almost six centuries. There was a time when the city did not have a central street and, within the city boundaries, there were arable lands and people ploughed, planted and gathered the harvest there. Therefore, each working suburb had "its main street". The development of the central street of Chisinau dates back to the beginning of the 19th century. It passes through the very centre of the city and its length is 3.8 km. Over the course of its history, it had a wide variety of names: from “Millionnaya” Street to “Stefan cel Mare si Sfiant” Boulevard.
Walking tour across the city centre starts with the Central Post Office building. In 2012, in front of this building, there was installed a symbolic Kilometre Zero marker, which indicates the distance from Chisinau to other capital cities of the world. The Great National Assembly Square is a place where festive events, celebrations and public gatherings are held. The Cathedral Park is adjacent to the Square and the dominant construction of the park is the Cathedral Church.
The National Opera and Ballet Theatre „Maria Biesu” is truly considered a real treasure for the Republic of Moldova. Every year in the autumn, Opera and Ballet celebrities from all over the world come to Chisinau in order to bring joy to the audience with their amazing performances. The Presidential Palace was built in 1990; the author of the project being Alik Zaltsman. Alongside the Presidential Palace there is a high-rise building of Agro-industrial Union where three national Ministries have their seats.
In 1902, an eparchial architect Mikhail Serotsinsky built the church of Saints Constantine and Helen the Equal-to-the-Apostles. Today the church bears the name of the Church of the Transfiguration.
The walking tour continues on the other side of the boulevard in the opposite direction. Hertz building is one of the most beautiful constructions on the central boulevard. The Parliament of the Republic of Moldova is located in a building that was built in the shape of an "open book". The Cinema “Patria” is the main first show cinema of European level. "Stefan cel Mare" Public Park is the oldest park in the Republic of Moldova. At the entrance to the central Public Park there is a monument of the Moldovan Voivode and Ruler Stefan cel Mare si Sfint (Saint Stephen the Great). The Government House is located in the centre of the Great National Assembly Square. The City Hall building was erected in 1902 according to a project of the architect Mitrofan Elladi with the participation of Alexander Bernardazzi. In 1975, a former City Public Bank that was built in 1911 was restored and transformed into the Organ Hall. Chisinau open-air vernissage is the best place to acquire some local souvenirs. The National Drama Theatre “Mihai Eminescu” is the largest theatre of the capital city.
Today, Stefan cel Mare si Sfint Boulevard is one of the most beautiful streets of the city.
Walking route across the Chisinau city centre is developed for all types of sightseers who can get acquaintance with the memorable places of the city and the most significant pages of its history within a relatively short time.