Tiraspol - the capital of the unrecognized Transnistrian Moldovan Republic. The town was founded thanks to the Peace Treaty of Jassy, which was concluded after the Russian-Turkish War (1787-1791 gg.) between the Ottoman Empire and the Russian Empire. According to this Treaty, Turkey ceded Russia the region of Ochakov that included the land between the rivers Dniester and Southern Bug. Empress Ecatherine II, wishing to strengthen the border on the left bank of the Dniester, entrusts the governor V.Kahovsky "overlook the land between the Bug and the Dniester" and prepare proposals for its administrative and territorial structure.
About his calculations V.Kahovsky reported to St. Petersburg: “New created fortress would be a means to attract new residents to the city, and the city where will opened trading days and trade fairs will be beneficial to the fortress”. The project of the future fortress has made by engineer Major Franz de Volan. And the work on strengthening of the border along the Dniester River and the construction of the fortress were entrusted to A.V. Suvorov “so that these should lead to carelessness against the enemy attacks”. A.V. Suvorov has laid Median fortress in 1792, and this date is the year of foundation of the city of Tiraspol. By the end of 1795, the construction of the fortress was almost completed. By this time close to the fortress under construction lived about 2500 people and on 27 January 1975 the settlement was granted status of city.
Centuries have passed. Tiraspol City began to extend and during the construction of Suvorov micro district from the fortress remains only one powder vault of bastion "Saint Vladimir". In 2014, in one of the vault was opened an exposition dedicated to the fortress of Tiraspol, in the other one - a church.
Tighina (also known as Bender) fortress was built in one the most powerful of the medieval cities of Moldova – Tighina, which was an important trade outpost. Originally built as a small wooden fort by Stefan cel Mare, it was fortified with stone during Petru Rares’ rule, just was Soroca fortress.
In 1538, the Ottoman Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent conquered the town, and renamed it Bender. Its fortifications were developed into a full fortress under the same name under the supervision of the Turkish architect Koji Mimar Sinan. The Ottomans used it to keep the pressure on Moldavia, between localities and Varna and Bender of Republic of Moldova.
Currently, the city include three sectors:
1) quadrangular castle with eight towers (citadel) installed on the high plateau of the first bank;
2) fortress down on the second terrace of the bank under citadel;
3) Outside city limits, the bastion front on the upper plateau of the coast.
Technical information: the round-trip distance - 170 km, duration - 7 hours (taking into account bus- time).
Excursion includes: all transfers per program, guide for all the trip, entrance tickets.
IMPORTANT! PASSPORT is required!