Fortress Soroca – is the sample of defensive architecture of Moldova. Initially, the fortress was made by wood and surrounded by high wooden palisade. Entrance to the fortress was located on the hill. Inside the fortress, there were the soldiers, who were always ready for battle. The attackers climbed up, overcame the palisade but here the defenders were waiting for them. The fortress was not always able to hold back the onslaught of the enemies, it was vulnerable and not once burned in a flame of fire. In 1499, Stefan cel Mare has built quadrangular fortress with high entrance and defensive rampart. The fortress served as a cover for the Moldovan warders from the Tartar troops.
In 1543 Moldavian gospodar Petru Rares wrote a letter to Transylvania, in which he asked Magister of Bistrita to send masters and apprentices for the construction of fortifications in Soroca. That year is considered the main argument of the stone fortress date year foundation. Today it is difficult to say who was the author of this fortress, and whose project is implemented, but one thing is indisputable, it was built by European architect. There are many similarities between the Soroca fortress (diameter - 30 m) and the famous English Restormel Castle (diameter - 34 m), height of the walls of both constructions - 18 m. In the United Kingdom there are more than hundred of such small and durable castle but in Eastern Europe only one - Soroca fortress and this is its uniqueness.
In the plan, fortress Soroca has round form and is surrounded by four round towers with a square gate tower. External and internal height of the walls are not the same. The floor inside of the fortress is 2 m higher. That was a good tactical point of view, gave a huge advantage. The guns that bombarded the fortress, often punched the wall at its foundation and through the breach, the attackers could break into. Duty to additional meters of inside protection all efforts of the enemy were in vain. The thickness of the walls of the fortress are 3.5 meters, they are laid from the dense limestone, at the top of the fortress are built the battlements with thickness of 1.20 m. Between the battlements there are small embrasures for shooting guns. Fortress Soroca was attacked by Polish, Cossack, Turkish and Tatar troops. In 1738, Polish troops under the command of Colonel Kapnista crushed and set fire the fortress of Soroca. The garrison was liquidated, and Fortress was no longer restored.
City Soroca has appeared later. Located around the fortress villages inhabited mainly by Rezes, have been attributed to the fortress. In 1833, Soroca became a district center, and in 1850 obtained the status of town. The fortress began to be leased for the wood traders as a warehouses. During the Soviet period, the castle was conserved. It became the excursion object, which with great interest was visited by tourists.
Technical information: strong>Extent of the round-trip route - 330 km, duration - 10 hours (taking into account bus-time), sanitary stopping - at parking station. Clothing up to tourists, optionally. Sneakers, for women - shoes without heels. Water and a snack.
Attention!!! Necessarily should visit the excursion object - Candles of Thanksgiving. From there, are opening the amazing views over the river Dniester, there is visible the castle and the village Tsehinovka on the opposite bank of the Dniester. Nearby is Bakirov Yar. You can also pass though the Gypsy Hill, where the tourists will see the most diverse architecture.
Optionaly, the tourists can visit the monastery Cosauti located in 12 km from the fortress. In the monastery there is a spring with radon inclusions, that has beneficial effects on vision. Clothing for monastery: shoulders and head must be covered; skirts and shorts shall be below the knee.
Additionally (for extra cost), tourists can take lunch.